Market Standards for Fresh Local Produce
A. Benton Harbor Fresh Market #1 Grade
- When “Benton Harbor Fresh Market #1” grade designation is used the lot shall meet at least the minimum grade requirements and reflect the desirable size, shape, color and overall good quality of the entire crop; except commodities may be separated into the customary sizes in which case size shall be marked on the container. Lots of “Benton Harbor Fresh Market #1” graded produce shall be marked with the appropriate Benton Harbor Market stamp.
- Pick-outs from a higher grade shall not be permitted in the “Benton Harbor Fresh Market #1” grade.
- Overfaced lots will not meet the grade. The shown face shall truly represent the remaining contents of the container.
B. Benton Harbor Fresh Market #2 Grade
Lots comprised of produce from which superior quality fruits or vegetables have been picked out shall be stanped “Benton Harbor Fresh Market #2 grade. “Benton Harbor Fresh Market #2” grade shall meet the same tolerance and quality requirements as the “Benton Harbor Fresh Market #1” grade.
C. Basic Requirements:
- Free From: a. Mold and/or decay b. Breakdown c. Sunscald d. Worms and/or Worm holes.
- Free From Serious Damage** By:
- Mechanical Damage
- Scars and Disease
- Insect Injury
- Other causes which would seriously affect the edible shipping quality.
D. Marking Requirements:
- Containers shall be marked with the Name and Address of the packer, grower or vendor.
- Containers shall be marked with the net contents.
- Containers shall be marked with variety when appropriate.
- Containers shall be stamped with the appropriate U.S.D.A. Grade, M.D.A. Grade, “Benton Harbor Fresh Market #1” Grade or “Benton Harbor Fresh Market #2” Grade.
E. Trading Requirements:
Loads not meeting the above requirements shall not be sold on the market. These rules shall be enforced. *These grades are established in addition to U.S.D.A. and M.D.A. Grades. Containers designated “Unclassified” will not be accepted on the market. **As defined in the current U.S. Standards for Applicable Commodities.