From the Market Director, Matt McManus
The Benton Harbor Fruit Market was established in 1860. We are very excited to be celebrating our 160th anniversary in 2020! The sprawling 22 acre facility is a State Historic Site. The market is strategically located within 4 hours of a quarter of the population of the United States, while also situated in the heart of the Midwest Fruit Belt. We are the country market on the doorstep of major population centers. Along with shipping to nearby metropolitan areas, The Market serves the local community which has supported it over the years. It is very common to talk to anyone in Southwest Michigan that has a connection to the market.
The following types of business are currently operating at the Benton Harbor Fruit Market:
- Wholesale Produce: Large, high volume, wholesale produce operators that receive produce from large local commercial growers for delivery across the United States.
- Trading Lanes: Local Growers bring in produce in bushel/half bushel quantities for restaurants, local farm markets, and small wholesalers in nearby large metros.
- Retail: We have a large retail area in the front of the market that will be utilized in 2020. This area will feature both smaller, retail sized quantities, as well as larger bushel/half bushel quantities.
- Market Restaurant: Direct from farm produce served up daily during the season.
- Storage: 22 acres, multiple covered areas, multiple buildings available for winter storage, all on pavement.
We have ambitious plans going into the 2020 season which include the expansion of our distribution to the local community.
Local, farm fresh produce will once again be available to the public starting in May 2020. Please watch the website for more information. In the meantime, if you have any questions, or would like to share a story about the market, please feel free to contact Market Director, Matt McManus.
Benton Harbor Fruit Market
1891 Territorial Rd, Benton Harbor, Mi 49022
See Location & Hours for more details.